Friday, March 13, 2015

Martial Arts Classes for Adults!

By Sally Morgan, 2nd dan

Adult doing martial arts self defenseWhen I enrolled my daughter in martial arts, I never thought I would be enrolling myself.  After watching her for a couple of weeks, I decided to give it a try.  I have now been with the Colorado Taekwondo Institute for almost 10 years.  What start
ed out as a means to get into better shape has now turned into a great passion passion for me, and it has helped me so much, and in many ways.

If you are an adult looking to become physically fit and don’t want the normal “go to the gym” type of work-out, martial arts might be for you.  When looking for adult martial arts, there are a few things to consider.

As we get older, we tend to lose agility and coordination.  You want a program that provides stretches and exercises that focuses on these areas.  CTI’s program includes stretching in every class and exercises that will provide an increase in balance.  Since I have started adult martial arts I am much more flexible and my balance has improved.

Another thing to consider is strength training.  CTI’s work-out includes maintaining a low stance for a period of time, push-ups, sit-up, kicks and other exercises that work out your major muscle groups.  Because there is a variety of movement strength is always being built up.

Cardio-vascular conditioning is a huge thing for adults to maintain.  Without it, the body loses efficient functioning in all areas of life.  With jumping jacks, training of basic movements and sparring, CTI has broken the barrier for adult martial arts training.  So if you are looking to increase your lung capacity and get a good sweat on, adult martial arts is the way to go!

Many adults have injuries of all levels.  This is a big consideration when choosing any adult fitness program, including an adult martial arts program.  CTI understands these injuries and will work with you to be the best you can be.  I have found when I do become injured or sick; I heal quicker because of my martial arts training.

Also, it it nice to have the peace of mind that I can protect myself and my family. Joining an adult self defense class is really important. We aren't training to go out and start trouble, but learning skills that will defend you if ever necessary give you a whole new level of confidence.

One last thing to consider and probably the most important is “fun.”  Why do something if you are not going to enjoy it?  We all want that place where we can go, leave everything that is going on in our lives at the door, and just have fun.  Though CTI’s workout is challenging, it relieves stress and is fun.  I am never bored.  If I have had a bad day at work, I find after working out at CTI,  my mood is positive and energetic.  My overall outlook is better and I enjoy working out with the other adult students.

If you want a positive change to your life regarding health and physical fitness, an adult martial art class might be the thing for you. Stop in and try a class.  It certainly can’t hurt.  You might find yourself 10 years down the road healthier, happier and physically fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment