Sunday, February 10, 2019

How Moo Sul Kwan Taekwondo has Helped Me in School

By Elizabeth Hawkins, 1st dan, CTI Masters Club Member

Martial arts black belt learning skills that help in schoolI’ve had my fair share of school struggles in the past, but Moo Sul Kwan Taekwondo has helped me to overcome them, and even turn those situations into a learning device.  I’ve always been energetic, but before studying MSK Taekwondo at the Colorado Taekwondo Institute I had little to no attention span.  I constantly wandered off, and I never listened to directions.  MSK Taekwondo has helped me to become a more focused person with its regimen.  Not peeking and focusing on poomse turns into allotting  myself time to do homework, and ignoring any distractions; and building my endurance has become having the mental fortitude to go through a mentally exhausting day of school and still doing four hours of homework before Moo Sul Kwan Taekwondo.

Taekwondo classes have also helped me with my overall work ethic.  I am certain that had I not been in CTI Classes, I would not be in the IB program, or even in any advanced classes.  The iron will that comes with improving your body, along with the willingness to learn, can take you far in life.  Again, the hours spent practicing easily turn into hours studying, even though each takes a very different skill set.  The attention to detail I’ve experienced in MSK Taekwondo easily translates into getting all of my homework done on time, and when revising essays knowing that the small details do matter, and focusing on them.

Most importantly, Taekwondo classes at the CTI built up my confidence, without causing arrogance.  I know that I can always be better, and I am willing to change in order to get there, but I can hold my own in stressful situations.  I’ve been taught how to lead, making me valuable in group projects and to overworked teachers.  I’ve learned to be a self-directed learner, to keep my composure, to be disciplined, and to do what I know is right.  Moo Sul Kwan Taekwondo has taught me many things, and how to excel in school is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment