Friday, July 13, 2012

Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone

Mrs. Morgan on Camera for Channel 2!
Have you ever done anything that you were unsure of?  In Moo Sul Kwan Taekwondo we develop a confidence about ourselves, but that doesn't mean we are 100% sure all the time.  Having confidence means, even though we are apprehensive about something, we move forward with it anyway.  We’re confident enough to know, no matter what the outcome, in the end, we will be better because of it.

Every morning while I get ready for work, I listen to the news on television.  One morning they highlighted this lady who did boxing to keep in shape.  She was about my age and looked pretty fit.  I was really impressed with what she was doing.  I thought to myself how great it was that Channel 2 was highlighting people’s work-out program.   And of course, without thinking twice, I submitted the Moo Sul Kwan work out we do at the Colorado Taekwondo Institute.  I figured if this lady could inspire me with her boxing work out, maybe I would inspire someone with my MSK Taekwondo work-out.  I really didn't think they would actually call me, but they did.

Thinking about being in front of Channel 2's camera made me nervous.  When I submitted my work-out, I wasn't really thinking about the whole camera thing.  What if I made a mistake?  Not only was I representing myself for tons of people who watch the news, but I was representing Moo Sul Kwan.  Was I capable?

Luckily my fellow students at the Westminster Campus agreed to come in and work out with me on the day of the filming.  Having their support made me not quite as nervous.  All of us were really happy that we constantly go over basics in every class.  Once we got into our side stance and started doing punches and strikes, we forgot the camera was even there. Master Albrechtson’s words to “push hard in every class” really hit the mark now.  Because we all were so used to giving every technique everything we got, pushing ourselves to the limit for the camera, didn't seem as difficult as we thought it would be.

We did a shorter version of what we do in class and I talked about how training at the Colorado Taekwondo Institute is for someone who wants to push themselves beyond their own limits.  I highlighted the leadership experience we get, not just from instructing, but from helping each other out.

In the end, all went well and everyone felt really good about the segment.  The women who filmed us seemed impressed with the work-out.  I was satisfied, not only with myself, but with my fellow students who worked out with me.  We didn't let fear of a television camera stop us from showing what we have to offer.  I was proud to able to share my passion for what C.T.I is all about, to people out there who may be looking for what I was looking for when I found Moo Sul Kwan.

So remember, never stop pushing yourself beyond your limits.  You never know when a camera might be around to film what you can do.

Click here to see the Channel 2 Report on Mrs. Morgan!

No comments:

Post a Comment