As a parent it can be difficult to find good activities for your children. There are either too many choices or your children have interest in activities that may not be the most beneficial to their development. Part of this development should be a focus on discipline, respect and self control. One program that provides all of these and more is a Children’s Taekwondo program.
I have two boys who are now 12 and 14 years old. Both have been in a kids taekwondo program for over 9 years. I love the benefits we see as parents and the benefits the boys see for themselves. When I asked my 14 year old what he saw as the biggest benefit from the taekwondo program, he stated Self-Control. Approaching his teenage years is difficult enough. The experience gained in the children’s taekwondo program at the Colorado Taekwondo Institute has taught him how to have:
- Self-control with others and in difficult situations
- How to maintain focus inside and outside classroom
- A desire for educational excellence
- Identifying and achieving appropriate goals
- An increase in self-esteem and confidence
- Learning to respect others as you respect yourself
The culture and curriculum should be the primary factors in choosing the right school for your family. Price and location are factors, but they cannot make up for good instruction and the long term benefits of a successful martial arts program.
Some of the qualities to look for are:
- The type of classroom instruction
- Events that are provided such as tournaments, seminars and conventions
- Are the students encouraged to attend extracurricular activities
- Educational aspects, like monthly homework
- A genuine focus on safety and what is best for the students