Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Impact of a Dynamic Martial Art

By Shekina DeTienne, 1st dan

While I was in the testing process for black belt, I was talking with my mom about my training, the process and what was to be expected.  As the conversation was coming to a close, my mom said, "I am so glad that you have found the Colorado Taekwondo Institute and you are pushing for your goals."  Training with the students and instructors at the Colorado Taekwondo Institute has been an impactful experience in my life and one that I encourage everyone to try.

Martail arts woman practicing with a staffPeople join different martial arts styles for varied reasons.  Whether karate, judo or taekwondo, everyone has different initial expectations and reasons.  When most people think of training in a martial art, they often think of a Karate Kid or Bruce Lee type of situation.  What they often find is a very different experience.  Each person goes through the same basic education, starting with the foundation and then building and advancing.  However, ensuring the training is custom fit to the student is essential to their success through the belts.

Starting with the basics and moving up, we are able to help students of all ages accomplish their goals.  From the parents who want their child to learn respect and structure to the adult looking for physical fitness and self defense, the instructors at the Colorado Taekwondo Institute help their students train to the best of their abilities.  Using positive structured curriculum, students gain physical fitness, learn effective self defense and respect for themselves and those around them.  While establishing these basics, students learn various self defense techniques for different situations as well as learn how to put their basics into motion with poomse, our prearranged forms.  Using the basic striking, blocking and kicking techniques as a foundation, we build on them to more advanced moves.  Our instructors move at a pace which is best suited for the individual student.  The ultimate goal is to train a well rounded, educated and self controlled black belt.  This is not an easy task, however the prize is well worth the prize.

Training in Moo Sul Kwan Taekwondo started out as a fun past time that I intended to help with physical fitness and learn some self defense.  After falling in love with the art and making a commitment to fight for black belt and beyond, I realized that it has become so much more to me. The training involved has taught me self control, the importance of continuing education and having respect for myself and everyone around me.  Lessons of perseverance, integrity and how to be a true leader have not just had an impact on my training but also life outside the school.  Working alongside the students and instructors at the Colorado Taekwondo Institute has been a great journey, and is one that I intend to continue for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment