Tuesday, January 21, 2014

MSK Pride in not Leaving a Job Unfinished!

By: Holly Madayag, 1st dan

We were at the Superbowl Tournament, our 40th one...

It was the end of class, we said, “Ho-Shin”
Then we bowed and stood up tall;
We all shook hands in unison
Then I stepped out of the workout hall.

I headed for the closet room
And reluctantly pushed open the door -
I pulled out the ‘ole Hoover vacuum
So I could quickly sweep the floor.

Push, pull, push -
Boy, my arms are sore!
Push, pull, push -
Vacuuming seems such a bore!

Dusty residue, whirring motor
Aching legs and back, it’s true!
Whenever will this be over?
I’ve got better things to do!

Just a small section of carpet left
Over that way toward the sign -
And, ugggh, the cord’s not long enough
It’s really no big deal – I’ll get it next time.

Who cares about that one small section?
The rest of the floor looks fine!
No one will even notice -
And I just don’t have the time!

Then, that night, as the stars came out
I fell quickly asleep and it did seem;
I had a momentous turn-about
All because of the strangest dream.

We were at the Superbowl tournament, our 40th one
Students gathering around;
We were all laughing, having fun
I could see us, but heard no sound.

My name was called, I stood up slow
Into the ring I stepped -
The tie-breaker poomse was Koryo
“I’ve got this,”  I thought.  “I’m confident and well-prepped.”

Sudo-makkis and sidekicks
Front kick foot position with pulled back toes
Re-chambering after every kick;
Steady as it goes.

Objective focus, loud kihaps
And a chamber hand so strong!
But, then, in just an instant -
Something had gone terribly wrong!

I froze on movement 39!
Only a small section of the poomse left to go
I can’t stop now, can’t NOT finish
Ohhhh noooo!

I went to the judges and I tried to plea
I begged so that sympathy they may feel -
But the center judge just looked at me
And said these words that seemed so real ….

“Strike, block, strike -
Your arms would have surely been too sore!
Strike, block, strike -
You’d certainly find the last six moves a bore!

It was just a small section of poomse
And you just couldn't finish, that’s true!
But, now it’s over -
And you probably have better things to do.

Who cares about the last six moves?
The rest of your poomse looked fine -
 It’s really no big deal –
You’ll get it next time.”

I awoke startled and dripping with sweat
My words had come back in a dream to haunt me;
I had left the unfinished portion of carpet
Which lead me to not finish Koryo completely. 

I thought back to my attitude about vacuuming -
And realized it had been so poor.
Cleaning the school should be done with honor
No matter how tired – no matter how sore!

Moo Sul Kwan teaches us that perfect practice is key
So the same applies to cleaning our school -
We must strive to do it
PERFECTLY!

And, now, because of that dream
I have learned and now I can say -
That vacuuming the school is equally as important
As practicing our tradition – our poomse.

“Wax on, wax off” as they say in the movies
And, you know, it’s really true -
Take initiative in cleaning the school!
It is the ultimate display of respect for what we do.

I’ll no longer look at vacuuming as just another chore
That’s really not the case;
When you break it down- it’s so much more.
It represents the highest regard for our cherished dojang space.

So, next time in that workout hall
When you notice clean lines and a carpet unblemished -
You’ll know it’s because a student who takes pride in Moo Sul Kwan
Didn't leave a job unfinished!

No comments:

Post a Comment