Monday, February 3, 2014

Responsibility

By: Hope Morgan, 2nd dan

When I think about responsibility, I tend to think about my responsibilities to others. I think about my what I'm expected to do at school, work, and home. I think about tasks I have to complete, always doing my part.

Hardly do I ever think about my responsibilities to myself, and to be honest, I believe that is the most important thing. The simple truth is, no one, despite how amazing they are, has the real power to change your life - not Dr. Phil, Ellen, or Oprah, not your friends or family. May they be impactful? Of course! But the real power, that's all you. YOU are responsible for virtually everything in your life, and if you don't have the will to do something for yourself, to change something, then you can't expect it ti be done.

I don't think the realization of all of my personal responsibilities really hit me until the new year, and it's done me a great justice. Taking responsibility for myself has given me the power to create exactly what I want create and achieve exactly what I want to achieve.

I'm noticing the most significant difference in Taekwondo. At the Colorado Taekwondo Institute, we are lucky to have such a large group of supporters. I love knowing my classmates are there to push me, that I have an instructor ready to push me to my best. But my real salvation comes in knowing that despite all of that wonderful support, my success is my responsibility. I'm in charge of pushing myself, and I'm responsible for going as hard as I can and doing everything I can to reach my goals. Just knowing that my progress rests on my shoulders gives me the most motivation. I want to be the best that I can be for myself.

This way of thinking can transcend into almost anything I do, and it's really helped push me to the next level. Learning to take responsibility for yourself and the actions you decide to take is something everyone should focus on.