Monday, February 12, 2018

Discipline for Me

By Brynn Konrad, 1st dan

Karate students learning discipline through martial arts teachingI looked up the definition of “discipline” and found a few different definitions.  I found: “the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience”; “control gained by enforcing obedience or order”; “Discipline is the quality of being able to behave and work in a controlled way which involves obeying particular rules or standards”; “orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior “; “Self control”.  And then, I looked up self control in the dictionary and found the following: “restraint exercised over one's own impulses, emotions, or desires”.  After all of this, my personal definition of discipline is to use self control to behave appropriately.

Moo Sul Kwan Taekwondo at the CTI has helped me to learn and use self discipline in myself.  It began in my first years of MSK Taekwondo classes, where I learned the importance of attending regularly and on time.  I quickly realized how important it was to call if I was sick and needed to miss a class.  In class, we worked on poomse movements and exercises that helped me learn the details of discipline.  As I became an upper belt, I used my self discipline (and interest) to attend weekend classes and events.  Sometimes it was hard when I needed to miss birthday parties and staying over with friends.  But, all of this has really helped me, since I was able to learn that when you work towards a goal and are completely committed, you can achieve your goals.

I see how it has helped me in other sports as well.  For example, in basketball, there have been times when I am running down the court and know I can beat the other team to the basket and make a shot, but instead, I quickly take a look around me and look for one of my teammates, who is open, to pass to and feel the importance of working together as a team.  There are times I get pushed down and use my self discipline to pick myself back up, hold my head high and continue with the game.  I have learned that it is best not to let others know when they get to you in these situations.

I could not be more grateful for everything that the Colorado Taekwondo Institute has taught me.  The discipline around my time has been very beneficial for my homework and grades.  I always give my best to homework, projects and tests at school.  This is another journey to achieve future goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment