Friday, October 20, 2017

Adult Classes at the CTI - I Can Be an Athlete!

By Deb Denny, red belt

A few years back I looked into adult karate classes. I found a few schools near my house, but I decided on classes at the Colorado Taekwondo Institute, and I'm sure glad I did!

Adult martial artists doing a bow in an adult karate classTraining as an adult in Moo Sul Kwan Taekwondo has many health benefits. As I am an adult with adult children, it especially important for me to enjoy health and well-being through my later years. Some of the benefits of martial arts include: increased cardiovascular and respiratory capacity, improved sleep, strong and resistant immune system, emotional mood and self-esteem builder, it keeps your joints moving and flexible, increased strength, dementia prevention through increased blood follow and mental challenges to the brain, and prevents diabetes by modulating blood sugar.

The workouts involve movement through all planes, which uses more muscle groups and does not cause repetitive injury like running (a one plane movement) can. Adult martial arts classes can be considered health insurance: the more involved you are, the less you will need to dip into that high deductible health plan we all carry now.

As a medically inclined person I can go on and on about the health benefits of MSK Taekwondo. So let’s get to the real meat and potatoes here. For me, having been the kid who sat on the bench while team captains debated “Who gets Debbie” in school sports, and years of being told I am uncoordinated and worthless, the CTI has been amazing. The wonderful instructors at the CTI have shown me that I AM AN ATHLETE! Taekwondo has given me the confidence, coordination, and reflexes to perform at a level I never dreamed I’d attain. Everything I accomplish in adult martial arts classes makes me a better at my other leisure activities such as biking, hiking and backpacking.

So what is holding you back?…if I can do it, so can YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment