The tenets of Taekwondo: courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control and indomitable spirit. They are the basic principles of success used to reach the goal of Moo Sul Kwan black belt. Principles are like gravity, they work whether you know them or not, but if you make them a part of your daily life, you cannot fail.
Looking at each tenet:
- Courtesy- Humans are social animals designed to work together. Our ability to succeed is improved with help from others. By being courteous more people will be willing to help us achieve our goals.
- Integrity- Honesty and high moral principle will prevent us from taking short cuts or slacking off. As Abraham Lincoln said " You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time". We know when we are giving 100%, and integrity will keep us on course to our goals.
- Perseverance- Unlike baseball, in MSK Taekwondo 3 strikes and we are not out. Keep pushing and never quit. Success is just around the next corner.
- Self-control- The exercise of restraint over ourselves keeps us from being sidetracked from our goals. If we don't control ourselves someone else will.
- Indomitable Spirit- An unconquerable will that gets us past any set back we come across. We will persist without exception because failure is not an option. Our outer world is determined by oury inner thoughts, whether we think we can, or think we cannot, we are right.