Friday, November 23, 2012

How Training Has Helped Me

By Lynne Dean, yellow belt

Moo Sul Kwan Taekwondo has helped me physically, mentally, and emotionally.  Physically, I am in the best cardio and strength condition of my adult life (so far).  I have more energy and endurance which gives me more confidence. (Not to mention that I can now wear whatever is in my closet.

This conditioning also helps me in fundamentally providing for my family by keeping me strong enough to do things as simple, but necessary, as cutting and stacking wood!

The classes also have forced me to push myself.  I must remain focused, pay attention, and give 100% in order to succeed.  This transcends outside the class as I want that same satisfaction of making it through a class in all that I do.  If I remind myself so often in class to do 100% and pay attention – then I am also more likely to do that at work and at home.

The lessons in leadership, honest, integrity – as augmented by the homeworks – force me to articulate how I apply those tenets outside of class.  Reminders such as the TKD tenets of Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, and Indomitable Spirit really do remind me of what is important as a person.

The training also has allowed me to set short and long term goals; focusing on and achieving them help me focus my energy and think about how TKD goals augment personal, non-martial arts specific goals as well.

The strength and endurance required to set and attain goals help me deal with stressful things like my dad’s passing away this past summer and the daily stress of a long commute, job, not to mention trying my best to be a good mom and wife.

In short, TKD has provided me increased strength to do what I need to do, ability to focus on tasks and goals, and a continued reminder of tenets in life that help me be a better person all-around.

No comments:

Post a Comment